Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Save these rich, decadent mashed potatoes for the coldest, dreariest winter day.
- 5 large yukon gold potatoes or 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 4 slices bacon, fried until crisp (but not black)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- Place the potatoes and enough broth to barely cover them in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer just until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Return the potatoes and 1 cup of the cooking liquid to the saucepan and, using a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon, mash until smooth. Add the butter and gouda and stir until incorporated and melted; do not overmix.
- If necessary, add more broth to attain the desired consistency.
- Stir in the bacon, sage and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
I only needed a couple of servings so used a couple of medium potatoes and then estimated the rest of the ingredients. Love the smoked gouda, have never used it in mashed potatoes and what fun to find a way to use the fresh sage that has survived our horrid summer. Terrific way to dress up a plain roasted chicken.
Although I did follow the recipe on down (pretty much, anyway), I did use low sodium chicken broth & unsalted butter, & I substituted 2 rounded tablespoons of Hormel's Real Bacon Pieces for the fried bacon! Absolutely great tasting mashed potatoes & now a recipe that's a keeper! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
OMG these taste so good. I used Carisma potatoes (a low GI potatoe) and 1/2 regular gouda and 1/2 smoked cheddar and the lean bacon and sage and a 4 serve lot was gobbled up by 3 of us. thank you Annacia for a great mash, made for Please Review My Recipe.