Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Full of flavour and very filling. For a vegetarian option remove the bacon.
- 300 g penne pasta
- 8 slices smoked back bacon, Cut into slices
- 2 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cut into thick slices
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into thick slices
- 3 red onions, cut into thick slices
- 100 g cherry tomatoes, Halved
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 pints milk
- 200 g cheddar cheese, Grated
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the olive oil in a roasting pan and heat in the oven at 170c until hot.
- Meanwhile, for the tomato sauce, place the tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano, sugar and ground black pepper into a sucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Mix the bell pepper, onions, and tomatoes in the roasting pan until coated in the oil.
- Cook until soft and golden brown, approximately 30 minutes, stir occasionally.
- The tomato sauce should also be thick by now.
- Mix the roasted vegetables and tomato sauce into a large, deep oven dish.
- Fry the bacon until cooked and add the garlic for 30 seconds, add to the mix.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water until al dente, drain and stir into the mix.
- Mix together a little of the milk and the cornflour to form a smooth paste, add this to the rest of the milk.
- Place in a sucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add the cheese and black pepper, stir until combined.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta mix.
- Cook at 170c for 30 mins or until golden brown on top.