Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great recipe I got from recipe goldmine!
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 cup raw brown rice (not quick cooking)
- Simmer vegetables and spices in a saucepan.
- At the same time, fry the bacon.
- When bacon is done, remove from pan and crumble into small pieces. Drain off all fat.
- Let rice brown lightly. Add the vegetables and bacon; let simmer over very low heat for 30 minutes.
- Check after 20 minutes to see if it is drying out.
- If so, add more tomatoes, or some water, or a combination of both.
Wonderful! I used to make this years ago and thought about it again when I saw your recipe. Always good! The one thing I usually do instead of crumbling bacon once cooked is to cut it before cooking - just seems easier to me somehow and easier to manage cooking all at once. Such a nice blend of flavors. Thank you for sharing!