Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is a great soup all year round and very flavorful and actually low in calories! I even like it with red pepper flakes for a kick.
- 6 slices center-cut bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 4 medium red potatoes
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups fat free chicken broth
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Chop all the vegetables.
- Add olive oil to the pan and add onion, carrot and celery as they are cut up. Sauté until onion is soft but not brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, potatoes and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered until potatoes are tender, about 10 to15 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and heat until just melted - do not boil.
- Chop bacon and add to soup.
- Adjust seasoning to taste by adding salt if desired. Serve at once.