Recipe by Juenessa
This contest winning recipe comes from Quick Cooking Magazine. From start to finish you can have a savory meal on the table in about 30 minutes.
Top Review by NoThyme
This soup was amazing! I went online looking for a potato and bacon-style soup, but was finding ones that focused more on the "cheesy" part. I'm so glad out of all the choices, I picked this one! I doubled it and had some concern when simmering (pre-milk add) that it might have too much of a bite (pepper or celery seed), but the milk and cheese smoothed it out nicely and it was excellent!!! I stirred in the cooked bacon at the very end, as well some for garnish with the green onions. I also took someone else's advise here and used pre-shredded carrots (in a bag). I just put them in my hand-chopper to make them smaller. Saved time there. The whole family loved this soup -- we will definitely make gain.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; drain.
- Add potatoes, broth, carrot, onion, parsley, celery seed, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to soup.
- Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add cheese; stir until cheese is melted and the soup is heated through.
- Garnish with green onions if desired.