Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very filling, tasty, and easy to make. For best results, buy a good, very smokey bacon from a butcher shop.
- 6 slices bacon, very smokey local bacon is better
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups potatoes, diced
- 3 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (354 ml) can evaporated 2% milk
- Fry bacon until crisp, and chop. Drain and use paper towel to soak up excess fat.
- In a large pot, sautee onion and garlic with 2 tbsp bacon drippings.
- Add potatoes, water, bouillon cubes to pot.
- Heat to boiling, then cover and simmer until potatoes are cooked, then add bacon.
- Mix flour with a small amount of evaporated milk, making a paste.
- Gradually stir in remaining milk.
- Add to potato mixture.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Stir often to ensure the soup doesn't burn on the bottom of the pot.
we loved it! thick and filling, so better as a main dish. very tasty and easy to make.
Great recipe! Filling as a main course with salad or as an appetizer. My company and family loved it!
This was really tasty, however I didn't know if or when you should add the bacon, so I added it with the potatoes, it was so creamy yumm..