Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are so good and simple to make.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- In a skillet cook bacon and onion until bacon is slightly crisp and onion tender. Drain fat.
- In a bowl mix dry ingredients together. Cut in butter. Add milk, bacons, and onion. Mix with fork until just combined.
- Turn dough to lightly floured surface and knead several times until dough holds together.
- Pat or roll dough to 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with biscuit cutter and place on baking sheet. I also just drop biscuits into cupcake tins which is much quicker. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 12.
Just wonderful little biscuits. I also made half the recipe and got 6 nice sized biscuit. I cooked these for 25 minutes at the stated 350, and they still didn't get as golden as I would have liked. Doesn't take away from the flavor though. I agree with Annacia. I'll probably cook mine at 400-425 next time. These will go so well with soups and stews this winter. thanks. Made for 1-2-3 Hit wonders.
Yummm. I made a 1/2 recipe and then made 4 biscuits so you know that mine were quite large. They baked for 30 mins and then I boosted the oven temp to 450 to get some color on them. They are delicious but just a bit heavy inside. I'm NOT holding that against the recipe as I made them bigger but I think that they might do better at 425 even in the smaller size. The flavor is great (I should say that I skipped the sugar) and they are marvelous for a comfort food fix!