Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe that I found online. I have modified this recipe slightly by adding bacon, mushroom and sunflower seed. It works equaly well with chorizo instead of bacon. Sunflower seed is optional, it gives a bit of texture to the dish.
- 340 g penne pasta
- 4 slice bacon
- 118.29 ml mushroom, sliced
- 20 g sunflower seeds
- 240 g jar sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 236.59 ml fresh basil leaf
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package. Drain and reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Chop bacon, fry gently in a frying pan.
- Add mushrooms.
- Blend the sun-dried tomatoes and their oil, garlic, and basil in a food processor and blend until the tomatoes are finely chopped.
- Transfer the tomato mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the Parmesan.
- Add the pasta, mushrooms and bacon to the pesto and toss to coat, adding enough reserved cooking liquid to moisten.
- Season the pasta, to taste, with salt and pepper and serve.
Enjoyed the flavors. I used Walnuts, sun-dried tomatoes in oil and pulsedthe pesto in the food processor. Cooked the other ingredients and tossed with some spiral pasta. Made for "I recommend" tag game.
I also added my garlic to the onions, - oh, I added an onion! - and in fact did not make a pesto, cooked off the onion, bacon, added mushrooms, and added the finely sliced sun-dried tomatoes and basil close to the end. I also used pine-nuts, since thats what I had. Tossed it with wholewheat fusilli and my DH enjoyed this so much, he had seconds...almost unheard of!!!! Thank you for a very nice recipe!!! Made for PAC Spring 2008