Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This delicious chowder came from my boyfriend's mother. The taste of the bacon really adds to the flavor..hope you like as we do.
- 10 slices bacon (diced)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups mushrooms (canned or fresh)
- 3 cups potatoes (diced)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- In a soup pot,fry bacon- set aside.
- With bacon drippings, fry onions until clear, add mushrooms. Stir for about 5 minute Add chicken stock and potatoes. Cook until potatoes are tender. Return bacon to pot.
- Just before serving add milk, salt and pepper,to taste,and mushroom soup. Stir well and serve.
This was FABULOUS. I only had thick sliced bacon so I used 5 slices of bacon. I also thought I had potatoes, but alas I did not so I guess mine was more of a soup. I also did not add additional salt since recipe calls for 2 cans of soup, and I added a bay leaf. Otherwise I kept to the recipe. As the cook I couldn't stop "testing" during cooking. I almost couldn't eat during dinner, but I "managed" to make room (haha). DH has requested it be added to our soup suppers. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
I followed this recipe exactly. I didn't add any salt at the end since the soup and the bacon are salty enough. I didn't particularly care for this but dh liked it. It was definitely easy to prepare, though! I am not sure what it was that I didn't care for - when I figure it out, I may try this again.