Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a really delicious combination of sweet and salty. Serve with additional REAL maple syrup and fruit for a satisfying brunch.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 1 1/2 quart round casserole or souffle dish.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat; about 7 minutes. Remove bacon to paper towel; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Combine milk through salt in medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Simmer 2-3 minutes or until mixture thickens; stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in syrup and reserved bacon drippings.
- Crumble bacon and add to grits mixture.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl. Gradually stir small amount of grits mixture into eggs, then stir back ito remaining grits mixture. Pour into prepared casserole.
- Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes. Serve immediately with additional maple syrup and fruit.
- Note: Puff will fall slightly after removing from oven.
I've really been on a new grits kick and I enjoyed this dish very much. I will be making this again. Next time, I will increase the bacon strips to 10 slices, as I didn't feel 8 was enough. I am also thinking about adding a little onion to this next time. I poured the puff into a 9" x 1.5" pie pan and it fit perfectly as it baked. Mine was done sooner at just past the hour mark. Nice served with maple syrup, fruit, preserves, or butter. It's a cross between a quiche and spoon cornbread! Yum, thank you for sharing! [Made & Reviewed for the Cook-A-Thon for KelBel in memory of Eric, Jan. 2009]