Recipe by Diane Jodouin
From the Essential Canadian Christmas Cookbook, Lovoni Walker. Most of the recipes are great year-round. This one is delicious served warm and drizzled with maple syrup. NOTE: It must be prepared a day ahead of baking.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 10 slices bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, coarsely ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease a 1- to 12 cup baking dish that has 3 to 3-1/2 inch (8 to 9 cm) sides. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook bacon in large frying pan over medium heat until golden brown. Place on paper towel. Drain fat from pan. Heat oil in same pan over medium heat and add onion, pepper and bacon. Cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Place bread in prepared baking dish. Scatter onion mixture over bread.
- Whisk remaining ingredients in large bowl; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before baking. Cook in preheated oven for about 1 hour or until set and golden brown.