Redneck Epicurean's Note:
Leave it to a Redneck...fancy bread with country toppings. I don't think there's anything a Redneck loves better than a big ole bowl of greens (some like their's with vinegar-not me) and some fat bacon. Oh, heavens, putting this together was such a hard thing for me because I wanted to eat the bacon and greens before it ever made it to the bread! I kept thinking, "No, Amy. Don't eat the greens and quit picking at the bacon!" However, when it all got done, it was excellent. I have also made this with the Chinese Beef and Broccoli dish. The sauce on the beef and broccoli made it extra good. Give them both a try for something different.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb bacon, cut into small pieces (easily done with kitchen shears!)
- 1 (14 ounce) can turnip greens (I use Sylvia's Seasoned Turnip greens)
- 1 (13 1/4 ounce) can italian refrigerated bread dough
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large skillet, fry the bacon pieces until just done, but not crispy. Place on a paper towel to drain off excess grease. Drain the grease from the skillet, reserving about 2 tablespoons
- 3Open the can of turnip greens, pouring about 1/2 the juice off. Place in the hot skillet with the bacon drippings. Stir until hot. You might want to taste at this point to season with salt and pepper if needed. Also add vinegar to the skillet if you prefer this on your greens. Stir again.
- 4Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Unroll the dough without stretching.
- 5Stir the bacon into the turnip greens. With a slotted spoon, remove the mix from the skillet and place on the bread leaving the juices in the skillet. Press the mixture down into the dough a bit.
- 6Bake until the bread is nice and browned on the edges, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon and Greens Focaccia
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.4
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 25.7 mg
- Sodium 341.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
refrigerated bread dough