1/2 Photos of Bacon and Eggs in a Bread Bowl - Panera Bread
1 hr 10 mins
This is a recipe I found on Panera Bread's site and it sounds so good, I can't wait to try it. I actually think this is one that DH will enjoy, he won't eat quiche but he loves his sourdough bread!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups spinach, thick stems removed, chopped
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 sourdough bread bowls (they recommend their own bowls)
- 11. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- 22. Cook the chopped bacon in a large skillet until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 teaspoon of the fat.
- 33. Add the onion and cook until soft and golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the spinach, cover, and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring spinach from bottom to top once or twice. Drain off any excess water and transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- 44. Add beaten eggs, bacon, ricotta, 3 tablespoons of Parmesan, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne to the bowl. Stir gently until combined.
- 55. Cut out the tops of both Panera Bread Sourdough Bread Bowls as if making jack-o’-lanterns out of pumpkins. Remove bread from inside, leaving about a 1/2-inch shell of crust. Save or freeze the bread, including the top crust, for another use, such as bread crumbs or croutons. Place bread bowls on prepared baking sheet.
- 66. Scrape filling into bread bowls and sprinkle with remaining 3 tablespoons of Parmesan.
- 77. Bake, without the top crust of bread, until filling is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving. Using a serrated knife, cut each bowl into 3 wedges, like a peace sign.
- 9TIP: The pork bacon can be easily swapped with turkey bacon. Or for a vegetarian dish, skip the bacon and heat 1 teaspoon of oil in the skillet for sautéing the onion.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon and Eggs in a Bread Bowl - Panera Bread
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.5
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 169.6 mg
- Sodium 402.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 11.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: