Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
a quick breakfast casserole for family, and company,.
- 2 potatoes, peeled, and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 pint half-and-half cream
- 1 (16 ounce) package shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 lb bacon, cooked, slightly crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- Cook potatoes in salted water just until tender, but do not overcook, drain well.
- In a large saucepan, melt margarine, and stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute, or till smooth.
- Gradually add cream and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Add cheddar cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and white, and black pepper, stirring constantly until cheese melts, and remove from heat.
- In a buttered 9x13 inch baking dish, layer half of the egg slices, half of bacon, and half of cheese sauce.
- Spoon potatoes over cheese sauce and top with remaining egg slices, bacon, and cheese sauce.
- Combine breadcrumbs and 3 tablespoons melted margarine, and sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Before baking remove casserole from fridge, and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees.
This was very good! I sort of had my doubts about how it was going to turn out because in making the cheese sauce, there seemed to be too much cheese and it became something that was neither pourable or spreadable - just sort of a big cheesy glob. But I managed to somehow get it evenly over the bacon and eggs. DH didn't care for the breadcrumbs on top, but I loved them. The instructions didn't have a temperature for baking it, but I baked it at 350Â°. Will make it again but might try sausage instead of the bacon. Thanks for posting! Made for PRMR.