Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in an old Italian cookbook. It's really easy to make and best of all it will be absolutely DEMOLISHED at the table. Especially by the kids. Enjoy!
- 6 slices bacon (rind removed)
- 1 (16 ounce) packet spaghetti
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 3 garlic cloves (skin on)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Bring some salted water to the boil in a large pot for cooking the spaghetti.
- In a medium bowl lightly break and stir eggs with a fork and fold in about 1-1/4 cups of cheese.
- Slice the bacon rashers into small cubes or thin strips if you prefer.
- Use the edge of a knife to crush the garlic cloves without breaking them up too much. (You want the garlic cloves to remain reasonably whole)
- In a large skillet over a medium high heat pour the olive oil and add the garlic.
- While the garlic's cooking use a wooden spoon to press down on the cloves to release the flavour.
- After a minute or two add the chopped bacon and cook for about 5 minutes. (Don't let the bacon get crispy).
- When the bacon's cooked remove garlic cloves and turn down to a low heat.
- Cook spaghetti to packet instructions (al dente) and drain.
- In the same pot (used to cook the spaghetti) add a little olive oil and return the cooked spaghetti.
- Mix in the bacon and hot oil, egg and Parmesan mixture and chopped parsley tossing lightly with tongs. (The eggs, bacon and cheese should stick to the pasta) .
- Pour onto a warm dish and garnish with a little leftover parmesan and parsley.
- Serve with piping hot garlic or herb bread-- YUM!
Delicious! I have extremely picky eaters (18 months and 4 y.o.) and they ate every piece on their plates. I, too, added some cream to the mixture and used Orrechiete, Little Ears, because it was requested by the 4 y.o.- they held the sauce great, too.
This was awesome. I added just a tad bit of cream to the egg mixture just to make it a little bit creamier in consistancy, and used Panchetta to make it authentic. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing because it was delicious! Spaghetti Carbonara is me and DHs all time favorite and this was supurb!
awsome just like mamma makes... mabe this is where she got the recipe.....humm