Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These mushrooms are stuffed with three cheeses and bacon - a wonderful appetizer.
- 40 large white mushrooms
- 12 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup dried Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Remove stems from the mushrooms.
- Saute shallots, onions and garlic in butter until tender (be careful not to burn the garlic).
- Add the thyme and cayenne.
- Stir in the bacon.
- Stir in the bread crumbs.
- Stir in the cream cheese until melted.
- Add the Swiss cheese and half of the parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly until melted (the mixture does kind of clump together but that is fine).
- With a small spoon, spoon mixture into large mushrooms caps.
- Place on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and the mixture starts to bubble.
- Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese on top and bake for another 5 minutes until it is melted.
- The time to bake may vary depending on the size of your mushrooms, the type of pan you use and your oven so alter the cooking time to suit your situation.