Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A simple, quick, and very tasty lunch, snack or appetizer. Original recipe from Cook's Illustrated, however I've simplified the process.
- 4 medium size tortillas
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (6 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon chipotle adobo sauce (optional)
- 4 teaspoons minced pickeled jalapeno chilies (adjust to taste)
- vegetable oil
- Cook the bacon in a small non-stick skilled over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon and transfer to a pper towel to drain.
- Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat, then return to medium heat.
- Add the minced shallots, pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer shallots to small bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet with paper towels and return to medium-low heat and lightly toast each tortilla on ONE side (about 1 minute each).
- Slide the tortillas to a cutting board.
- Divide the cheese, bacon and shallots equally between the four tortillas; spreading the filling over half of each toritilla, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge.
- Top with jalapenos and/or adobo sauce.
- Fold the tortillas in half and press to flatten.
- Brush tops generously with oil and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Place quesadillas in skillet, oiled side down and cook over medium-low heat until crisp and well browned, 1 or 2 minutes.
- Before flipping, brush tops of each with oil and sprinkle salt.
- Flip the quesadillas and continue to cook until the second sides are crsip and well browned, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Tranfer to cutting board and cool slightly before cutting in half.
- Serve with salsa and/or guacamole.
So easy, and very delicious! I omitted the salt (personal preference) and served with salsa, sour cream, and Avocado Dip. Thanks for sharing!
Great recipe! Buddha simply raved over these! I guestimated the amounts, and used shredded cheddar/jack cheese, yellow onions (on hand), and some fresh chopped cilantro. These have quite a kick, so I served them with sour cream and it complimented the quesadillas well. Thanks for sharing this simplified keeper recipe, we love Cook's Illistrated! :)