Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This pie is beautiful! I invented it tonight for dinner and thought that I just had to post it! Even for someone like me who isn't great at pastry it was super easy and tasted great. Please taste the filling as it is cooking before you add stock. Try to find a salt free or make it yourself because the bacon and cheese are salty enough. Also- thicken to your own liking
- 3 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup butter, cold and chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 -8 tablespoons cold water
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 kg of casserole beef, small dice
- 6 small eggs
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 5 fresh garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 liters low sodium beef broth (I used homemade)
- 100 g cheddar cheese (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
- Put flour, onion flakes, pepper and paprika in a food processor. Add the butter and process until crumby.
- Add half the cold water to the beaten egg and pour in while still mixing. Add water very slowly until it starts to resemble dough. Don't let it form a ball.
- Divide dough in half, roll one lot out and line your pie dish. Prick and cover with dried beans and bake on 200 celsius until almost cooked -- about 15 minutes.
- Wrap the other dough in wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- Sauté onion, bacon, garlic and paprika in the oil in a pan until cooked just through.
- coat the beef with the flour and add to the pan, cook it for about five minutes and then add the stock slowly stirring it constantly to avoid lumps.
- Depending on what meat you are using, add enough water to cook it down for a while (1-4 hours) and keep adding it as needed. Add the Marjoram.
- When the meat is just about tender enough cook it down until it is thick.
- Empty out the beans and pour the filling into the case. Break the eggs straight on top, spread out evenly and cover with the cheese (Save some for the top of the pie).
- Roll out the pastry and put it on top. Prick a few air holes.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle some extra bacon pieces, grated cheese (not too much and the parmesan on top. You can grind some pepper over it too.
- Bake until golden brown on high for about 30 mins or so -- watch it!
Great breakfast recipe. Made for PAC 2010.