I found this recipe in a family cookbook put together for a bridal shower. I love the fact that I can put the omelet to bake in the oven while I make other ingredients, such as #8602 Sausage Gravy and Biscuits, on the stove. With the addition of fresh fruit, the combination was a huge hit with visiting company.
- Fry bacon and drain; chop into pieces. (I make mine in the microwave).
- Arrange cheese slices in the bottom of a lightly-buttered 9 inch pie pan. (I use glass.).
- Beat together eggs and milk with a fork. Add chopped bacon and pour over cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes, until eggs are set in the middle.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
- Note: you can reheat left-over portions in the microwave upside down, with cheese on the top.
- You might want to add some herbs on the top, too!
This recipe surprised me because I was thinking it would be too plain, and I'd want to add something. It's simple but delicious. Of course I wonder what it would be like if I threw in some cooked potatoes or some tomatoes or maybe turned it into Mexican-style, but that's just me. Very tasty and easy to eat. Made for Pick a Chef Spring 2012.
This was so good and EASY. I had to down size the amount in half as there are only 2 of us but that was easy w/Zaars help. We did use Grated Swizz cheese as we don't care for processed cheese. Then instead of using a pie pan - placed in individual ramakins, sprinkled the top w/chives and Cayenne Pepper before baking, and they were pretty enough for a company dish and good enough for an everyday dish. Servied with Sourdough Angel Biscuits fresh strawberries and hot coffee, great way to start the day. Made for PAC Spring 08