Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are my husband's favourite muffins and they work well with bacon, ham, leftover cooked chicken or even spam. Make sure not to overbake as they will be dry instead of moist.
- Grease muffin cups or place paper liners in tin.
- Stir flour, cheese, sugar (if using), baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Combine milk, oil and egg in a small bowl.
- Add wet ingredients all at once to dry ones and stir until flour is just moistened. (Make sure batter isn't too thick, if so, add a little extra milk).
- Fold in bacon and fill muffin cups.
- Top with a little extra grated cheese.
- Bake at 180c on the lower oven rack for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm.
These are a good little breakfast muffin. I made them as mini's and followed the recipe exactly as it was written. I will enjoy them again for breakfast tomorrow, but fresh out of the oven they are great. I can see other variations on this recipe. This was made for Fall PAC 2008.
Very good savory muffins! These tasted a lot like corn muffins even though there's no corn meal in them. I was a little leery about 1/4 cup sugar, so I cut it back to 2 tablespoons and that was just right for us. Also used black pepper instead of cayenne pepper. If I did my temperature conversion right, 180c equals 356F, so I baked them at 350 degrees for exactly 20 minutes. Thanks for posting - I'm sure to be making these again! Made for the September Photo Challenge, "Breakfast, Anytime!"