Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Delicious hearty soup with a smoky flavor. Great for winter comfort food. Came up with this for a late autumn pot-luck once.
- Mix milk, flour, pepper, salt, and dill weed. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in deep skillet or sauté pan until crispy.
- Remove bacon from pan and place on layered paper plates and paper towels to drain.
- Keep approx 2-3 tbsp of remainng grease in pan; Cook potatoes and onions in bacon grease for 1 minute
- Add chicken broth, bring to boiling, then simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile chop the drained bacon into small ½ inches or smaller chunks.
- Transfer broth mixture to a stock pot or saucepan.
- Stir milk mixture vigorously before stirring into broth.
- Add bacon and stir.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Add cheese; stir until melted and mixed well.
- stir and cook on low heat for an additional 10 minutes Let cool, and refrigerate for a few hours, then skim excess fat off the top, or serve immediately.