Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
The bacon is in the biscuits and I serve scrambled eggs on the side.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco, chilled
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Reserve 2 tblsps bacon drippings.
- Mix flour baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda in large bowl.
- Add chilled Crisco and cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk, bacon drippings, bacon and cheddar.
- Stir until dough is just combined.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead several times until smooth.
- Pat dough out to an 8 inch round and cut into 8 wedges.
- Put wedges on baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake biscuits until puffed and golden, about 18 minutes.
- Brush tops with melted butter.
- Serve warm.
Very nice. More bready than I expected but I'm used to making scones not biscuits. I missed out the sugar and put just 4 rashers of bacon in as I felt that was plenty. I added a few twists of pepper well. Good quick recipe as a change from bread rolls.