Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From "Tyler's Ultimate," episode "Ultimate Cordon Bleu."
Make and share this Bacon and Brussels Sprouts Hash - Tyler Florence recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut in 1/4-inch strips
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 pints Brussels sprouts, trimmed of outer leaves and halved
- 1 lb fingerling potato, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 lb red pearl onion, peeled
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Pour oil into a skillet over medium-high heat. When shimmering, add bacon and thyme. Stir occasionally until bacon is crispy; remove to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Add Brussels sprouts, potatoes and pearl onions to bacon drippings. Season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until golden-brown.
- Add chicken stock and cook 3-5 minutes until vegetables are tender and liquid is nearly evaporated. Add balsamic vinegar, parsley and reserved bacon bits. Stir well and serve.
I thought this was very good, but I overcooked it and it got mushy.. so do not overcook..
I found it best to brown the bacon, then add the olive oil - adding the potatoes next for a solid 10 minutes before adding the brussels sprouts and onions. Then - added the halved brussles sprouts and onions on top with the thyme and cooked for what seemed like forever - 30 - 40 minutes, then added the chix stock until it dissolved, then turned the heat to high for the last five minutes to produce the result shown in the show. (a crispy crust that was to die for) Tasted EXCELLENT both with and without the balsamic. Peeling fresh pearl onions takes longer than this recipe to cook. I used more than 1 T olive oil, and probably almost 2 lb. potatoes. Was a real crowd pleaser, and everyone asked for the recipe!