Recipe by gailanng
You can fry your own almonds in a few tablespoons of olive oil with a pinch of sea salt, but it’s easier to buy Marconas that have already been cooked in olive oil and salted. A beautiful salad from A Tough of Yum.
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (more if needed)
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 48 fresh Brussels sprouts, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup almonds, divided (Marconas or see note in description)
- 1 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon and orange into a large bowl with the shallots. Pour the oil into the bowl in a steady stream, whisking to form an emulsion (it should appear more creamy and less transparent). Season generously with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Using a mandoline or food processor with a slicing blade, shave the brussel sprouts (not including the stems) into thin slices to make a shredded/slaw texture.
- Place the almonds in a food processor and pulse until chopped coarsely. Add 3/4 cup almonds, cheese and bacon to the shredded brussel sprouts; toss to combine. When ready to serve, toss with the dressing and sprinkle remaining almonds, cheese and bacon over the top. If needed, add a few more tablespoons of olive oil and toss.