Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
So my boyfriend is from the south. They say a way to his heart is thru his stomach...he likes this "lighter" version of greens, so they must be good right? We both enjoy them and hope you will too. Comes from Cooking Light.
- 2 slices smoked bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) packageprewashed torn collard greens
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to drippings in pan; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in crumbled bacon, 2 cups water, and next 4 ingredients (through pepper). Gradually add greens. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender.
A very tasty variation on collards. The sugar and vinegar are subtle enhancements to the bacon and onions. The family prefers my own collard recipe, but two of them had seconds.