Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
recipe from Cyntha Nims's book, "Stone Fruit"
Make and share this Bacon and Blue Cheese Salad with Cherry Vinaigrette recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 ounces mixed salad greens, rinsed,tough stems removed,and dried (baby spinach, arugula, red leaf lettuce, frisée, romaine)
- 1⁄2 small walla walla sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled oregon blue cheese
- 3⁄4 lb bing cherries or 3⁄4 lb other dark sweet cherry
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- For the cherry vinaigrette, pit and halve the cherries and set aside half of them to toss with the salad later.
- Put the remaining cherries in a food processor or blender with the vinegar and purée until smooth.
- Add the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste, and purée for another few seconds.
- Transfer the vinaigrette to a small bowl and set aside.
- (A blender will purée the cherries more finely than a food processor; if using the latter, you may want to strain out the bits of cherry skin after processing, pressing on the solids with the back of a rubber spatula to extract as much juice as possib) Fry the bacon pieces in a small skillet over medium-high heat until browned and crisp, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Scoop them onto paper towels to drain; set aside to cool.
- Put the salad greens in a salad bowl or other large bowl and scatter the onion and bacon over the top.
- Rewhisk the cherry vinaigrette to blend, and taste for seasoning, adding a bit more salt or pepper if needed.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad, tossing to mix gently and evenly.
- Arrange the salad on 4 individual plates and sprinkle the blue cheese and remaining cherries evenly over each portion.
- Serve right away.