Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A HUGE box full of Better Homes and Gardens magazines were left at work for us to dispose of... ;) These are Australian measurements.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 200 -300 g bacon, bones
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 400 g butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Heat a large heavy based saucepan over a medium heat. Add bacon, leek and garlic and stir to combine. Cover and cook over a low heat for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add bacon bones and stock to the pan. Bring slowly to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour. Remove bones, scrape meat from them and return meat to the pan.
- Add beans, leave soup and prepard dumplings.
- To make Dumplings:.
- Place flour in a medium bowl. Stir through fennel seeds.
- Make a well in the centre. Add oil and water, then stir with a table knife until a soft dough is formed. Place large spoonfuls of dough on top of the simmering soup. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until dumplings are well risen and cooked through, then serve immediately.