From the July 1996 Gourmet magazine, these chicken breasts are really wonderful. This recipe calls for chicken breasts with the 'tenders', but I can rarely find them this way. I just stuff the chicken breasts with basil and wrap with bacon as described below. I have also tried these by stuffing them with some goat cheese too, that we liked a lot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2In a small saucepan of boiling water blanch basil 2 seconds and drain in a sieve.
- 3Rinse basil under cold water to stop cooking and pat dry on paper towels.
- 4Put 1 whole chicken breast, skinned side down, on a work surface and remove "tender" (fillet strip located on either side of where breast bone was) from each breast half, keeping rest of chicken breast intact.
- 5(There should be 2 tenders from each whole breast.).
- 6Put 2 tenders side by side and wrap 7 basil leaves around them to enclose them.
- 7Season remainder of whole breast with salt and pepper and put basil-wrapped tenders lengthwise down middle of 1 breast half.
- 8Fold other breast half over to enclose tenders.
- 9Beginning on underside at 1 end of breast, wrap bacon slices snugly but without stretching, 1 at a time, around breast in a continuous overlapping spiral from 1 end to the other. (You will need about 4 to 5 bacon slices for each breast.).
- 10Remove tenders from remaining 2 chicken breasts and stuff and wrap breasts in same manner.
- 11Sprinkle crushed peppercorns evenly over bacon wrappings.
- 12Heat a 9- to 10-inch cast-iron skillet over moderately high heat until hot.
- 13Sliding a metal spatula under wrapped chicken breasts to keep bacon intact, transfer 2 breasts, undersides down, to skillet.
- 14Cook chicken, turning it only after bacon on underside is golden, until bacon is golden and crisp on all sides, about 4 minutes total.
- 15Transfer chicken as browned to a plate and cook remaining breasts in same manner.
- 16Pour off fat from skillet and return all 3 chicken breasts to skillet.
- 17Roast chicken in middle of oven 15 minutes, or until firm to the touch and just cooked through.
- 18Transfer chicken with tongs to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon and Basil-Wrapped Chicken Breasts
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.8
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 72.7 mg
- Sodium 510.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 20.4 g