Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This vinaigrette is sweet, tart, bacony and oniony and it's what makes people keep asking me to bring salad. And who doesn't like some real bacon in their salad? I never really measure the amounts but it always tastes fantastic!
- 6 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Slice bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and fry until just crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Remove bacon from pan, and all but 2 Tbsp of the bacon fat.
- Gently saute the onion until just soft, making sure not to brown.
- Add the brown sugar, blend in and then add the vinegar. Reduce for a minute or two.
- Add the olive oil, as much as to your taste and the salt and pepper to taste.
- Cool, but do not refrigerate. Dress your salad just before serving.
- Serve this warm or at room temperature over a salad of hearty greens like romaine. I usually add some very finely sliced red onion rings, mushrooms and homemade croutons, but let your imagination work here. I've thought of trying it in the summer with just onions and fresh sliced strawberries.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I used it on a spinach, red onion, egg and bacon salad for a family reunion. It was perfection!
This is a delicious dressing that will dress up any salad. I just used a pinch of the brown sugar (personal preference). Next time I will add the oil over the salad last, instead of into the onions, it sort of got lost as it coated them. Great flavor!
this was really great i loved the bitd of onion in it thanks for a real keeper!!!