Recipe by Cookin-jo
This vinaigrette is sweet, tart, bacony and oniony and it's what makes people keep asking me to bring salad. And who doesn't like some real bacon in their salad? I never really measure the amounts but it always tastes fantastic!
- 6 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and fry until just crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Remove bacon from pan, and all but 2 Tbsp of the bacon fat.
- Gently saute the onion until just soft, making sure not to brown.
- Add the brown sugar, blend in and then add the vinegar. Reduce for a minute or two.
- Add the olive oil, as much as to your taste and the salt and pepper to taste.
- Cool, but do not refrigerate. Dress your salad just before serving.
- Serve this warm or at room temperature over a salad of hearty greens like romaine. I usually add some very finely sliced red onion rings, mushrooms and homemade croutons, but let your imagination work here. I've thought of trying it in the summer with just onions and fresh sliced strawberries.