Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 medium baking potatoes, baked,cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 10 slices bacon, crisply cooked,crumbled and divided
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add onion and celery;cook and stir until tender-crisp.
- Add broth, milk and potatoes; bring just to boil, stirring constantly.
- Slightly crush potatoes with back of spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes,stirring frequently.
- Reserve 2 Tbsp.
- of the bacon, 2 Tbsp.
- of the cheese and 1 Tbsp.
- of the green onion for toppings; set aside.
- Stir in remaining bacon, cheese and green onion just before serving.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with reserved bacon, cheese, green onion and sour cream.
This soup ROCKS!! I can't say I followed the recipe exactly because I choose to use a few more green onions that what the recipe calls for. :o) I LOVE green onions and I LOVE this soup! Thanks for posting it, I will never buy canned potato soup again! :o)
Totally fabulous!! I doubled the recipe and added a tsp of herbs de provence and a couple carrots. The soup spent all day in the crockpot. An hour before dinner, I mashed up the potatoes and carrots. Fresh salad and buns, I can't believe how yummy this recipe was.
I found this recipe on the Kraft site a few years ago. Super easy too. It's the only one I use. You simply can't stop eating it, it's THAT good.