Recipe by BakinBaby
Comfort Food for sure. I found this gem in a 2009 Midwest Living Magazine.
Top Review by duonyte
I never thought I'd ever say this, but I actually found this a bit too rich! Mr Grumpy announced late last night that he was hungry and wanted soup. So I did not have time to bake the potatoes, but just diced and simmered them on the stove. The rest of the recipe came together very quickly and was ready at the point the potatoes was cooked. I used part half and half and part milk (so that I'd have some cream for my morning coffee!), and would use more milk next time. I had just a little left over and thinned it with some water this morning and it was just right. I also added just a bit more seasoning - some mixed herb thing I have in the cupboard - and that worked very nicely.
- 1 lb yukon gold potato
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped0)
- 1⁄4 cup celery (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups American cheese (shredded or diced)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons green onions (sliced thin)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake scrubbed potatoes for 40-60 min at 425,chop potaotes and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter, saute' onion and celery, about 5 min., stir in flour, thyme and salt and pepper.
- Add half and half, cook and stir 5 minute or until mixture is thickened, add chopped potatoes, 1 cup cheese and broth, stir until cheese melts.
- Slightly mash potatoes with the back of a spoon.
- Reserve 2 T. bacon for topping; sitr remaining bacon and 1 T. of green onions into souop, heat through.
- To serve; top each serving with reserved bacon; remaining cheese, green onions and sour cream.