Recipe by jackie
It is the beginning of a new year and there is no better time to embrace the health benefits of the tomato, a true "super food" with super flavor. While other tomatoes travel from as far away as Holland and Mexico, Backyard Beauties are allowed to stay on the vine longer and are picked at peak maturity. Sweet Heart Backyard Beauty Napoleons is a perfect recipe for an elegant Valentine's Day celebration.
- 4 backyard beauties tomatoes
- 2 medium eggplants
- 12 ounces buffalo mozzarella, balls
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 12 large basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 tablespoon of 8-year aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups baby mixed salad greens
- kosher salt
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the eggplant and slice in 1/3ed rounds.
- Marinate the eggplant with olive oil, chopped garlic, salt, pepper and 1/2 of the basil.
- Grill the eggplant until cooked through then cool.
- Slice the Backyard Beauties and mozzarella the same thickness as the eggplant.
- Gently toss the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese with remainign basil, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Stack the eggplant, mozzarella and tomatoes in any order and as high as desired.
- Place the napoleons over the baby lettuces.
- Drizzle the napoleons and greens with a bit more olive oil and the aged balsamic vinegar.