Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I grew up in North Idaho in a town of 20 people. I lived with three loggers who loved their food, loved lots of food, and loved it thick and filling. This fit the bill perfectly, especially when served with grilled steak or chicken and IDAHO potato salad!
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 package bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (very necessary for true smoky Idaho flavor)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 (32 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinse and drain
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can small white beans, rinse and drain
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Brown hamburger and onion.
- Dice bacon and brown.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients in a very large bowl.
- Stir in bacon and hamburger and mix well.
- Pour into an 11x15 pan (it will boil over in a 9x13).
- Cover with foil and bake at 325 for 2 hours.
excellent dish and is great for get togethers, was a meal in itself.