Recipe by MoreWithLessMom
From Backwoods Home Magazine Courtesy of John Silveira
Top Review by stormylee
Very good and rich! I used 40 g less butter than called for (all I had!) but it did not seem to affect the sauce much - apart from that I followed the recipe. I might try leaving out the ricotta next time and making a bit more of the sauce in order to make the texture as smooth as the taste... Great dish, thank you!
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3⁄8 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard, freshly ground, if possible
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into strips
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes, drained and quartered
- 1 cup diced ham
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Cook macaroni in salted boiling water according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Pour into a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook and stir for one minute. Gradually stir in milk. Add sour cream, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and mustard. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce bubbles and thickens. Stir in half of the Cheddar cheese until melted.
- Toss macaroni with remaining Cheddar cheese, the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, tomatoes, and ham. Pour sauce over this macaroni mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 1 hour, or until bubbly and brown.