Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These make a great breakfast-on-the-run and keeps your energy level up :)
- 236.59 ml butter
- 354.88 ml brown sugar, divided
- 236.59 ml quick-cooking oats
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml wheat germ
- 14.79 ml grated orange zest
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 473.18 ml sliced almonds
- 236.59 ml mini chocolate chips or 236.59 ml regular size chocolate chips
- 236.59 ml chopped raisins
- 236.59 ml flaked coconut
- Set oven to 350°.
- Grease a 13 x 9" baking pan.
- Cream butter, with 1 cup brown sugar.
- Stir in oats, wheat flour, white flour, wheat germ and orange zest.
- Press mixture into bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Combine eggs, almonds, chocolate chips, raisins, coconut, and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar; mix gently, but thoroughly.
- Pour over butter mixture; spread evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool before cutting into bars.
The only things I changed were pecans instead of almonds, 2 cups of all purpose flour, and no wheat germ. They came out wonderful! Everyone loved them! I'm fixing them again for Christmas eve!
These are GREAT NUTRITIOUS bars! I'm sure they would be heavenly tasting with all that butter but I couldn't bring myself to use it with the other healthy ingredients. I subbed Baker's Prune Butter (substitute for Oil in Chocolate Cakes) which probably made it drier and chewier than it would have been but I still enjoyed them. For the sugar I used 1/2 cup Splenda granular and 1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend. I used whole-grain quick cooking oats, unbleached all-purpose flour and an 8oz bag of roasted sliced almonds. I also added 1 tsp of cinnamon to the topping and am glad I did. Made for Zaar tag.