Recipe by Olha
"Pea" soup, with peas that come from the baker--not from the farmer. If not, you will have to make them like Grandma did.
- 3 1⁄2 pints soup stock (homemade)
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped chives
FOR THE BACKERBSEN
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- lard or shortening or vegetable oil, to deep fat fry
Directions See How It's Made
- THE BACKERBSEN: Make a batter of the ingredients for the Backerbsen and put into a pastry tube.
- Squeeze out small drops about the size of a pea into the cooking deep fat.
- Fry to a golden brown.
- They will expand to the size of a marble.
- Dip out with a sieve, drain, set aside to cool.
- Continue until all the batter is use.
- THE SOUP: Bring soup to a boil, remove from heat, add Backerbsen, cover and let sit 3 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chives and serve.
- Millers German Cookbook.