Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Recipe courtesty of criso.com Use your choice of sauce for dipping
Make and share this Back to Spinach-Cheese Balls With Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 9 ounces frozen spinach
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 3⁄4 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- REMOVE frozen spinach from pouch; place in colander. Rinse with warm water until thawed; drain well. Squeeze spinach dry with paper towel.
- MIX egg, both cheeses, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, sour cream, oil and ricotta cheese in large bowl until well blended. Add spinach to cheese mixture; mix well. Stir in flour, 1 cup at a time, until well blended.
- FILL a 10-inch skillet half full with oil; heat over medium heat until candy/deep-fry thermometer reads 350°F (or use deep fryer, add oil to fill line and heat to 350°F).
- PLACE bread crumbs in small bowl. Shape spinach-cheese mixture into 1-1/2 inch balls (about 40), using about 1-1/2 tablespoons for each; roll in bread crumbs and place on cookie sheet.
- FRY 6 balls at a time for 4 to 6 minutes, turning as necessary, until golden brown. With slotted spoon, remove balls from skillet; place on paper towels to drain. Cool 2 minutes before serving; serve with warm pasta sauce for dipping.