Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
When money was tight, mom used to make this for us. Cheap eats and also a favorite with my kids.
Top Review by Steph_40135
Left the green pepper out bc I knew the kids would not eat it. Other than that, I followed the recipe. Kids weren't even going to try it, but I told them they had to. They did not like it at all; I thought it was ok. My kids are NOT picky eaters, so I was very surprised they didn't like this one. I thought this was going to be a winner for my house. Thanks for sharing, Di. Steph
- 1⁄2 lb hot dog, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine hot dogs, celery, carrots, green pepper, onion, and butter.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until blended.
- Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cheese; stir until melted.