Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Truly a delicious and basic side that goes great with almost any meal. Simple and delicious.
- 1 lb French style green bean, washed, dried (Haricots Verts)
- 1⁄2 lb white button mushrooms, rinsed, dried and cut in fourths
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, coarse chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest
- Place the green beans and mushrooms on a large cookie sheet; sprinkle with thyme and drizzle with olive oil; toss to coat. Place in a 450 degree oven and roast for 15 minutes or until beans are crisp tender.
- While the beans are roasting, place the walnuts in a heavy skillet and over medium high heat, toast tossing frequently until nuts are fragrant and lightly toasted. Set aside.
- Remove beans from oven, sprinkle with lemon zest, coarse salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with the toasted walnuts, toss to distribute ingredients. Enjoy!
The beans stayed crisp and the mushrooms tender. I mixed the lemon juice, zest and walnut together while the beans roasted. Loved the flavors. A couple more minutes would have done these nice. I would have like a bit of browning of the beans. Cooking on the top rack in the oven would be the way to go. Thanks for healthy eats!
I made this for dinner tonight to go along with fresh asparagus, sweet potatoes, and a large salad. They were wonderful! The beans were still nice and crisp and the addition of lemon juice and thyme really brightened their flavor. I did omit the mushrooms only because of majority rule...2 against 4; and I used cashews in place of walnuts because of a food alergy issue. I will definitely make this recipe again. Thanks for sharing Paula. Made and reviewed for the 40th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
A tasty, easy to make, green bean side dish. The combination of mushrooms, beans, and walnuts was really good. Toasting the walnuts really brought out the nutty flavor. This recipe would also be good with some crispy crumbled bacon on top but made it exactly as written for RSC #15 contest.