Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Sauerkraut and Ribs are a favorite of mine. This is from Recipe Goldmine
- 2 lbs beef back ribs or 2 lbs pork back ribs
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and snipped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional for me)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 -2 teaspoon granulated sugar (to taste)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut back ribs into serving size pieces. Sprinkle both sides of pieces with seasoned salt and pepper.
- Mix caraway seed into sauerkraut, then place into a shallow 2-quart casserole.
- Arrange onion slices over sauerkraut. Cover with the tomatoes and their juice, cutting any whole tomatoes into pieces.
- Sprinkle with sugar. Place back ribs over entire surface; cover.
- Bake for 1 hour. Uncover and continue to cook about 1 more hour.
Darned near perfect! DH rates it at least 7 out of 5. I would never have thought to combine tomatoes with sauerkraut and onions, but it was really tasty. I did add a bit of garlic, though. Next time, I won't drain the sauerkraut - we both thought it should be a bit "sloppier". Served it with mashed potatoes and homemade rye bread. DELICIOUS!! Thank you for posting, SweetSue.