Recipe by pigtailone
This comes from Slow Cooker: the best cookbook ever by Diane Phillips. I used 2 cans drained sweet corn instead of the frozen. Served with crusty french bread. OhEmGee, delicious!!!
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 - inch dice
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken or 4 cups vegetable broth
- Tabasco sauce
- 4 cups red potatoes, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen white corn, defrosted (I used 2 15.25 ounce cans sweet corn, drained)
- 1 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Add the onion, celery and thyme and cook over medium-high heat until the onion begins to soften. Add the flour and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 3 minutes. Gradually add the broth and 8 drops of Tabasco, whisking until smooth, and bring mixture to a boil.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet to a 5-7 quart crockpot/slowcooker. Add the potatoes and corn. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, stir in the cream, cover and cook on low for an additional 30 minutes. Season with salt and Tabasco.
- Serve the chowder hot.