Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Speciality of the kitchen of the Hotel Excelsior Grand Hotel Principi di Piemonte, Torino, Piemonte, Italia and comes off a clipping out of my grandmother's recipe box.
- Blanch and toast the almonds. Peel and chop them very finely or crush them in a mortar with 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add the vanilla, beat egg whites till stiffened, then fold in the almonds.
- Spoon the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip. Pipe 2 l/2-in. wide rounds about 1 1/2 apart on a buttered baking sheet and flatten them a bit.
- Sift the confectioner's sugar over the tops and let stand at room temperature 1-2 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF and bake for about 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and cool. Amaretti may be kept in a sealed box for several days.