Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is an improvised meal of odds and ends that cooks for hours at low heat while you go about your business and emerges from the oven with enormous flavor.
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck, trimmed cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb boneless pork shoulder, trimmed cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons juniper berries
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 small leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1⁄4 cup duck fat (optional) or 1⁄4 cup goose fat (optional)
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb thick-cut bacon
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Place beef, pork, and lamb in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add wine, parsley, juniper berries, garlic, bay, carrots, onions, leeks, and thyme. Mix together, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days.
- Rub a crockpot with duck fat, if using. (You may add 2-4 tbsp olive oil, if you are not using the fat) Layer potatoes, marinated meat, and vegetables in the pot, seasoning between each layer with salt and pepper, ending with a layer of potatoes. Pour in remaining marinade and arrange the bacon, overlapping the slices slightly, over the top. Add the additional white wine.
- On high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours. Enjoy.