Recipe by BrotherAdso
A health-conscious version of the old favorite, with a spicy kick. I'm a vegetarian, but you could easily substitute the tofu or seitan for something more recently clucking or mooing. If you like spicy, trust me, you'll love this.
- 1⁄4 lb tofu or 1⁄4 lb seitan
- 1 1⁄4 cups cooked brown rice, refrigerated
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup green beans, whole
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup water chestnut
- 4 -5 scallions, diced thinly
- 1 tablespoon garlic, mined (I use the jarred kind)
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon hot Chinese chili paste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dark sesame oil (or more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili oil (or more)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- red pepper flakes, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat peanut oil in a wok or non-stick skillet over high heat. Add the scallions, garlic, and a touch of ginger and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tofu or seitan and stir fry until browned and firmed (in the case of tofu) or hot (in the case of seitan), about 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tbs of soy sauce and the egg. Mix in red pepper flakes at this point, if you desire. Cook egg until not quite done.
- Add rice and stir fry with the egg until egg is done.
- Add sauce, stir-fry briefly to coat rice and tofu, then add vegetables and stir-fry until crispy and hot.
- It is required that you eat this with chopsticks,.