Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
So yummy! Just throw ingredients together and bake, it's that simple. This is a great dish for cold winter days to warm you up. My mother made this as I was growing up. I have no clue where she got the recipe, but it's a must have in your recipe box!!!
- 3 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 6 carrots, cut up
- 1 cup celery, cut up
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons tapioca
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Place all ingredients in a heavy 5 quart pot with tightly fitting cover.
- bake in 300 degree oven for 5 hours.
- do not open oven at any time.
- do not increase amounts of ingredients.
- turns out perfect every time.
Never send a man grocery shopping for a recipe that specifically states "do not increase amounts of ingredients". :) DH came home with 3.59 pounds of bottom round roast (which I cubed), a 29 ounce can of diced tomatoes and a 28 ounce can of tomato sauce. I cooked it all for 8 hours in the slow cooker on high because my oven was being used for baking Christmas cookies all day. Although a bit "tomatoey" (which was our fault), this was easy and turned out well. I did cut back on the salt, but would leave it out altogether next time and just let each person decide for themselves if they would like to add salt and pepper. If using canned diced tomatoes, I am sure you could use 8 ounces tomato paste instead of tomato sauce. Thanks for sharing!