Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "The Best Recipes of the World", Mark Bittman. I used fresh cod as DH won't touch salted cod. I also skipped step about cooking fish and just shredded, cut really good prior to mixing with other ingredients.
- 1 lb cod or 1 lb salted cod
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon salt (omit salt if using salted cod)
- If using salted cod, soak fish overnight and rinse, drain next day. Cook fish. Shred it. Combine the fish, onion, garlic and pepper. Mix well. Add the flour and stir a few times, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Add about 1/2 cup water and stir until a batter forms-it should be a bit thicker than pancake batter, but not much, then stir in the parsley.
- Let the mixture rest while you put about 3 inches of oil in a deep saucepan and heat it over medium high. Using a tablespoon, gently drop small.
- spoonfuls of mixture into oil and fry, turning once until golden brown 3 to 5 minutes. Don't crowd fritters.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with lime wedges or keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
This turned out perfect!!! I have never been very good with cooking boney fish or cod. Always burning it!!! This time it was tasty, had a very nice presentation such as resturant quality!!!