Recipe by Antifreesz
Baccala is salted dried codfish. It needs to be soaked in water for two days to remove the salt and to reconstitute the fish. The flavor is distinct. This recipe was my mothers, it was and still is served every Christmas Eve in our home:)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb dried salt cod fish, "baccala"-soaked
- 1⁄2 cup oil, a good olive oil
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium potatoes, chunked
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak baccala in a deep pan/bowl filled with water for 2 days;changing water once a day.
- Cut fish up into 4 inch squares;set aside.
- In pot on a medium low flame; put oil,onion and garlic; brown gently.
- Add celery,bay leaf,thyme and parsley; continue browning for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes; cook 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes; cook 10 minutes.
- Add fish; cover and lower flame.
- Cook slowly; 40 minutes or until potatoes and fish are done.
- Stir in pepper at end of cook time.