Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
We usually have this on Christmas Eve
- 1 1⁄2 lbs choice-grade boneless skinless salt cod fish, rinsed well
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olives or 1⁄4 cup other brine-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped drained bottled roasted red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup capers
- 1 cup sweet bell peppers in hot vinegar sauce
- Put cod in a large bowl and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Soak cod, chilled, changing water 3 times a day, up to 3 days A less salty variety may need only 1 day of soaking, while another could require up to 3. To test it, simply taste a small piece after 1 day; you want it to be pleasantly salty but not overwhelmingly so.
- Drain and chill until ready to use.
- Drain cod and transfer to a 5- to 6-quart pot with 1 1/2 quarts water. Bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. (Cod will just flake; do not boil or it will become tough.) Gently transfer cod with a slotted spoon to a platter to cool slightly.
- Shred cod and stir together with celery, garlic, olives, peppers, and parsley.
- Stir together lemon juice, vinegar, and oil, then pour over salad, tossing to coat well. Season with pepper and chill, covered, at least 1 1/2 hours for flavors to develop.