Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping for ZWT5. From ElBoricua.com, Puerto Rican cooking site. Edited 12/16/13: The El Boricua website now lists the ingredients as: 1 box vanilla wafers, crushed; 3 Tbsp. cocoa; 1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts, 4 1/2 Tbsp. corn syrup, 1/3 cup rum, and 1 cup confectioners sugar (plus more for rolling balls). (It states that finely chopped coconut may also be added.) Current recipe says it makes 50-60 balls.
Top Review by weekend cooker
After sawing trees all day today, my friend and I wanted a little treat tonight, and these fit the bill, because of its quickness, a little after dinner treat after a long day. Made recipe as posted with pecans for the nuts, and powdered sugar for the sugar. Came up with 20, we each had 3 , and with the rest of the 14, we split them for a treat tommorow. Made for New Zaar.
- 1 cup vanilla wafer, crushed
- 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup Bacardi dark rum
- powdered sugar or confectioners' sugar or icing sugar, for coating
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush the Vanilla Wafers using a food processor or if you don't have one, put the wafers in a sealed plastic bag and use a rolling pin (or wine bottle) to crush finely, no chunks or lumps.
- Crush the nuts using the same process as for wafers.
- Place in a large bowl, add the honey and rum.
- Form into small balls and roll in powdered sugar.