The Portuguese, like the Spanish and the Basques, have always had salted cod to fall back on in hard times. The fish was very popular with these groups for two reasons....first it tasted like the old country and second....they could afford little else. The soaking time for the cod (18-24 hours) is not included in the prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb salt cod fish
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for pan frying
- 2 cups coarse breadcrumbs, use day old bread
- 1 cup yellow onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- 6 poached eggs, not overcooked
- 1Rinse the cod several times in cold water. Place it in a large stainless steel bowl and soak for 18-24 hours in plenty of cold water.
- 2Change the water several times.
- 3Drain the cod and place it in a saucepan and just cover it with fresh water.
- 4Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- 5Drain, debone, and flake the cod.
- 6In a large bowl, beat together the olive oil and bread crumbs.
- 7Mix very well and then add the cod and the remaining ingredients, except the eggs.
- 8Mix until well blended and then form into 6 patties, 1/2" by 3 1/2".
- 9Pan fry in a little olive oil until golden brown on both sides.
- 10Keep warm in the oven while you poach the eggs.
- 11Serve each fish cake topped with a poached egg.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacalhau - Portuguese Codfish Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.5
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 268.9 mg
- Sodium 2992.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 35.2 g